The first time I built a lectern I thought it would take longer than it did. This time it's going even faster. I started yesterday by laminating two sheets of 3/4" birch plywood. Today I got my wood, ripped it into eight 1 1/2" strips and two 2" strips, cut the strips to length and got three-quarters through the glue-up process. Tomorrow I'll have the base finished and I can start working on the top.
I'm substitute teaching this Friday, October 17, 2008. I plan to have the lectern finished and delivered by then.
In the meantime I'll be starting the cabinets for my artist friend, Clay, who sincerely wishes to remain totally anonymous. He'll be quite happy to hear this.
The cool part about this is I get to perfect my building process and get paid at the same time. So when someone buys a lectern at my Etsy site I'll have the whole thing down to a fairly speedy procedure. That will help make it more profitable without charging anything extra. And I'll be able to work on a lectern whilst building other projects for other clients, which means I can accept more jobs at the same time. Everybody wins!
Update, October 13, 2008:
The entire column is glued up and clamped up. When the glue finishes cooking I can start sanding it.
The legs have to be drilled for the brass threaded inserts so I can attach the levelers at the very end of the process, after the lectern has been finished. But I need rubber feet for this one instead of sliders because this classroom has tile instead of carpet, and I want to make sure the rubber levelers have the same size bolt screws first because, if the bolt is smaller, I'll need smaller threaded inserts. And there's just no practical way to make a hole smaller after it's been drilled.
So, I'm going to Rockler Woodworking this evening to see what sorts of levelers they have in stock. I love going there! I'm like a kid in a candy store!
Update, October 15, 2008:
I finished the assembly of the lectern today and began the finishing process by applying one coat of clear satin polyurethane. One more coat on the column and two more on the top and it'll be ready for delivery, probably tomorrow evening or Friday, depending upon the humidity, which can affect the drying time.
Update, October 18, 2008:
The lectern has been delivered, the client is happy. There was even talk from another teacher about commissioning another one! This is greatness! I want to get a photo of the lectern in her room with kids there, but I don't know when that will happen.