Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Drawers of the World... or at least the garage... Phase one, in which Doris gets her oats...


A good friend of mine named Clay, who wishes to remain anonymous, brought me over to his house recently and showed me a collection of eight drawers and an old door. He asked if I could build two cabinets to house the drawers and use those same cabinets to support the door, on it's side, so he would have a sort of work bench in his garage.

Now, Clay is an artist. In the classic sense. He paints pictures. He doesn't need the sort of work bench I have in my wood shop. So this idea of his was certainly sound.

And I can, indeed, build just what he's asking for. Thursday afternoon I'll be purchasing a ton of 3/4" birch plywood with which to begin the previously mentioned cabinets. Along with the sheet goods I'll get eight casters, four of which will have brakes on them. I'll worry about the drawer slides after I pick up the drawers from Clay this Saturday.

This will be fun. Once again I'll be building something I've never built before. I know I can build it, but it's still something new for me. That's exciting! When I was a graphic designer I took on jobs all the time without knowing exactly how I would complete them. I never missed a deadline in 13 years and my clients were happy folks and loved the results. When I see some possible obstacle in my path a solution always presents itself. And I like working on the fly.

I'll document this adventure here, with photos, just as I did with the lectern. Speaking of which, I'll be building another lectern at the same time as I start the cabinets. A teacher from the intermediate school has already paid for it.

1 comment:

Jay Neale III said...

Yep. I'm going to purchase supplies for the cabinets and the lectern tomorrow afternoon. I can't wait to get started!