Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Lectern Initiative, part still-not-quite-the-second


I've been substitute teaching recently. Actually I've been substitute teaching for almost seven years, but that's not what I meant. What I meant was I subbed five days-in-a-row, ending yesterday, September 23, when I spent the entire day in our in-school suspension unit... with no air conditioning. It was 85 degrees and very humid. And they don't give the "guard" of this unit a break during the day except for 32 minutes for lunch. And I didn't get enough sleep the night before.

It whipped me.

I slept in today, finally arising at 11:50 AM. Aaaaaah, was that nice!

I got up, got dressed, took care of some business at Etsy which turned into a sale a few minutes later, then went to my shop and began cutting those strips of wood to length. I now have the glue-up on the column mostly finished, having built up two sides of the unit this afternoon. They're clamped to my bench right now. Tomorrow I only have to glue the two sides together with two large and two very small pieces in between and the column will be done. After that I'll begin working on the upper and lower supports.

I ordered brass threaded inserts and leveling legs from Rockler Wookworking earlier today. Those items should be here by Friday or Saturday. I'll install a threaded insert at the end of each "leg" and run a leveler up into each of them.

I could actually finish this project within a very few days assuming there are no major interruptions. Of course I have to take into account the fact that I'm going to a friends house Saturday to give him an estimate on a workshop he wants me to build/remodel for him, and my in-laws will be here Saturday night or Sunday and I'm showing my mother-in-law how to tie-dye a t-shirt. But this should all work out just fine.

Addendum: Thursday, September 25, 2008
I have the center column glued up and in clamps now.  I'll let the glue cook for several hours before taking it out of the clamps.  At that point I can start fitting the legs and upper supports in place.  I'd do it tonight but I have to go buy a new DirecTV receiver/DVR, and we're upgrading to HD in the process.  Yay!!!



No comments: