This will be a relatively short step in the blogging process as it was an equally short step in the building process. And it's not actually a full step according to the criteria I established in the first entry concerning the epic saga of the Holy Lectern, but here it is nonetheless.
I got wood. And I ripped it into several thin slices. Yep. That's just what I did.
I laminated the plywood together to form the 1 1/2" sheet I discussed before, and now I have sliced it into nine strips which are 1 1/2" square by 48" long, and two strips which are 1 1/2" by 2" by 48". The nine strips will form the column and the two slightly larger strips will form the upper and lower supports, essentially two big "X's", half-lapped in the center, one on the bottom to serve as feet to hold the lectern upright and the other on the top to support the writing surface, the part of the lectern which Debra will actually rest her book/papers/elbows on during class.
The small amount of plywood you see in these photos will become all of the lectern except for the topmost portion.
Here endeth part not-quite-the-second... unless I have some comments later... or maybe you will have a comment or two...