Sunday, April 25, 2010

April, 2010: jn3 Current Projects, part 4


Here is my mother's small television stand for her small television. I installed it Saturday afternoon. The space on the left side of the stand is reserved for her cat, Lucy, so she can look out the window.

This is a very simple design. The wood is red oak. The joinery was easy to cut on my router table -- just a rabbet on each side piece, and then I reinforced the joint with two dowels on each side.

The finish is three coats of tung oil, followed by three coats of satin polyurethane.

The back is two pieces of 1/4" plywood. the short piece is at the bottom, recessed into the box 3/4" and is overlapped 1/4" by the larger piece, which is mounted on the back. This provides a way to snake the wires out the back without seeing anything behind the unit. And I don't care for big round holes in the back if they can be seen easily.

And that's pretty much all there was to it. So far, however, Lucy has remained uninterested. When she shows some interest I'll see about getting a photo.


No comments: