Sarah is an 18-year-old redhead from Springfield, Missouri. I used to date a woman from Springfield but she's old enough to be Sarah's mom. Hmmm...
Anyway, she's a remarkably successful artist, especially considering her age. She took the time to answer a few questions so I figured I'd take the time to publish them.
1. What is your shop name and URL and what do you sell?
I sell custom artwork, original artwork and paintings, plushes, earrings, clothing, graphic design, and all kinds of other odds and ends.
2. What long series of events led to you doing this?
I have been drawing and creating ever since I could pick up a crayon, it is my passion!
3. When did you start selling on Etsy?
I have been selling since March 19, 2008.
4. How does an 18-year-old girl from Missouri end up with 140 sales on Etsy?
Haha, I guess people just enjoy my work. I put a lot of effort and love into each piece. At first, I thought I wouldn't sell anything, but to have that many sales is awesome!
5. What is your favorite thing about Etsy?
I love meeting all kinds of friendly people on Etsy. Networking with other artists and to browse all of their shops is always fun.
6. What is your favorite thing about what you sell?
My favorite thing to sell would be custom orders. I love creating personal works of art for someone and to collaborate with them.
7. What is your favorite item in your own shop and why?
Hmm, tough question. I love all the things in my shop, but right now I would have to say the painting entitled “Noir”.
8. What is the coolest thing you do to promote your shop?
I do a lot of murals in the city I live in, I always leave brochures or cards at their businesses to locally promote. I have also been lucky, with blogs like this one, for people to like my work and be promoted on their blogs. I have gotten a lot of attention from that.
9. I think I remember you telling me Design Style Guide is the only team you belong to, is that right? And, if so, how long have you been a member and how are you liking it so far?
Yep, it is the only one. I have been a member less than a week and I love it! It looks like a great community and can't wait to see all that it has to offer!
10. What are some of your favorite finds by other sellers on Etsy?
I have so many favorites! I am a sucker for anything cute and Japanese, FromJapanWithLove.etsy.com is such a cute store! I also love anything vintage, Victorian, anything simple and elegant. TillyBloom.etsy.com has some lovely items. Also, for custom clothing, hodgepodgedesign.etsy.com has made some gorgeous custom clothing for me, love her! Those are just a few of my favorites, I could go on and on, haha.
11. What do you do in your spare time?
Besides art, I love photography, writing, horseback riding, taking care of my infinite amount of pets, spending time with family and friends, gaming, and random things in between :)
I love creative writing. I love to do short stories, sometimes my writing also influences my art. I am guilty of playing the occasional video game :)
12. Do you have anything else you would like to share?
I want to thank you for the interview! I am always glad to share my experiences with others about my art and store. Thanks so much!
You're welcome so much!
By the way, since these questions were asked Sarah has racked up another sale, bringing her total as of December 4, 2008, to 141 sales on Etsy. Congratulations, Sarah!